FAFSA & Dream Act

The FAFSA is the first part in applying for financial aid. You MUST fill out the FAFSA, if you want to be eligible for :

-Need-based financial aid, such as government-funded Pell Grants, which you don’t have to repay

-Merit aid, such as grants and scholarships from colleges, which you don’t have to repay

-State-sponsored financial aid

-Student loans, such as Perkins and Stafford Loans

-Work-study programs (a job on campus while you attend)

Step 1: Sign Up

Step 2: Create an FSA ID

Create a New FSA ID (each person creating an FSA ID must have an email address and a valid social security number).

An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.

Please help ONE parent create an FSA ID:

  • If you have an older sibling in college, who receives financial aid, your parent has an FSA ID. Find out from your parent and/or sibling what that FSA ID is.
  • If your parent has never created an FSA ID, help them create one! In order to create an FSA ID, your parent MUST have a valid social security number and an email address. If you parent does not have a social security number, then ONLY create an FSA ID for yourself.
  • Your parent will need an email address. If she/he does not have an email address go to gmail.com (or another free site) and create one for them. Make sure it is something you will remember. Write down the password
  • go to FSAID.ED.GOV and get an FSA ID for YOU
  • go to FSAID.ED.GOV and get an FSAI ID for ONE parent

Step 3: What You'll Need

  • Driver’s license, if you have one
  • Social Security Card or number, if you have one – the name you use on your FAFSA Must be the exact name shown on your social security card
  • Alien registration number, if you have one
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) – ask your parents if they have a social security number or an ITIN ***** VERY IMPORTANT
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) number, if you have one
  • If your parents filed their 2016 income taxes AND they have a valid social security number then you will be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to populate your FAFSA. This means you MUST bring your parents Social Security Numbers (make sure it is accurate and valid).
  • Please bring the following in case the above does not work:
    • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information,
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.
    • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.